Sunday 29 January 2012

14 days until departure

Two weeks today I will be flying to Zambia, I can’t believe it has come round so quickly!

Bits and bobs which I have ordered online such as a mosquito net and sleeping bag inner have been arriving and the spare bed is becoming the collection point for everything I want to take.

I am getting excited about the trip, but nervous too, mainly because of what I will see and how to relay that to those I speak to when I return.

Chatting to a friend today who had a similar experience while in Tibet was extremely comforting. I have been thinking that I’m going to struggle explaining what I witness in Zambia to those who have not experienced the country like I have, but it’s good to know I have friends outside those who are going on the trip, who will have some idea of my thoughts, feelings and reactions.

Being unable to properly relay my experience may sound strange for someone who works in communications, and maybe it won’t be as hard as I am expecting (who knows until I have been through it), but we have been told this maybe a consiquence of culture shock and may take time to recover from. Whatever it may be, I will do my best to inspire others to raise money, or at least consider WaterAid when they think of charitable organisations to support.

Although I had barely heard of Zambia before I was chosen to take part in this trip, I am beginning to come across a fair number of other people who have been to the country, either to do something similar to what I am doing, go there to do aid work for six months or visit as a tourist. Again, this is a sort of comfort to me as my nervous excitement continues to build!

Anyway, before I jump into one long stream of consciousness and use this blog to work through my nerves I will leave you be, until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment