Monday 9 January 2012

Running for water

To give something back to WaterAid for the amazing opportunity to visit Zambia next month I have decided to enter the Paddock Wood Half Marathon in Kent to help raise much needed funds.

By the time the run takes place on the 1st April 2012, I  will have returned from this life changing visit, most likely  spurred on to raise even more funds.

Yes, I have undertaken running challenges in the past, most notably The Bath Half Marathon (again for WaterAid), in March 2011. However, the difference is I had been training for The Bath Half for almost a year to build up to that 13.1 mile distance, my training for the Paddock Wood Half Marathon in three and a half months time is starting from virtual scratch, after not having seriously run since taking part in The Bath Half!

Fortunately, getting back to the five mile distance wasn’t as hard as I was expecting, after a couple of two to three mile runs recently I managed to build up in about two weeks to that distance, however, I am now seriously struggling with 6.5 miles!

I did my old 6.5 mile run along the Crab and Winkle Way between Canterbury and Whitstable this weekend, a year ago I found it easy, ‘a stroll in the park’ I would have said at the time. On Sunday, it was one of the hardest runs training runs I have ever done, and yes (I am ashamed to admit), I had to resort walking a short distance at one point before picking up my pace again.

Fingers crossed my stamina will improve quickly as I aim to complete a 13.1 mile run or two before taking part in the half marathon.

I shall keep this blog updated with news on my training, and also random things I see on my run.

I’m sure many runners will agree, that while training there is the tendency to see some bizarre sights, and probably the most bizarre I have seen greeted me on Sunday. Please bear in mind, I am running along a gravel, and quite often, muddy track with a number of steep hills which winds around Blean Woods. The normal attire for a setting like this is waterproof jackets, sturdy footwear and warm trousers (especially at the moment), not stiletto style shoes, nude sheer tights, a short skirt and small coat. The lady was tottering along, looking rather misplaced and uncomfortable. I am sure there was a reason for this faux pas, but it did temporarily take my mind off my fatigue.

If you would like to sponsor me for the Paddock Wood Half Marathon, or, off the back of what you’ve read about WaterAid you would like to donate to the charity, please click here.

Further information can be found at: www.wateraid.org

No comments:

Post a Comment